Saturday, September 22, 2007

The New Age of Dryden - Part II

The next day, Richel and I decided to go visit Dryden in the NICU. It would be our first visit to see him together. We were there spending time with our son with Richel holding him and me trying to stifle my cough and keep my distance. And such is how our day went.





Kevin later dropped by with Notch and Shaira to see how we were all doing. And everyone was excited to see the new baby, even though he was confined to the NICU. Upon seeing me, Kev summed it up all fairly nicely and accurately.

"Dude, you look like crap."



Thanks Kev. No need to pull your punches. But he was right. I did look like crap, I felt like crap. By this time I was post-op day #2, taking Advil sparingly since I didn't have a whole lot in my stomach, I hadn't shaved, bathed, washed my hair, or brushed my teeth in 2 days. I was still in considerable pain and I had slept for a total of maybe 6 hours in the past 48.

Kevin then brought me home so that I could shave and get washed up and brush my teeth, etc. Water never felt so good. My cough improved dramatically as well. About 2 hours later after I had sufficiently cleaned myself, I felt human, again and so we went back to the hospital to join Richel. Kevin and the gang then left while Richel and I spent the remainder of the evening in her room.

Unfortunately, once I had returned to the hospital my cough worsened, once again. I tried to sleep it off, but even while I was fast asleep I would wake from having coughing fits. With each cough, it felt as though someone was poking me in the stomach with a hot iron brand, repeatedly despite taking the Advil. I had decided that I would not be able to stay in the hospital with Richel, for if I continued to cough as I had been I would surely tear something. Richel understood even though she wanted me to stay. It was definitely a trying time for her, as she had just given birth, her new son was in the NICU, and her husband had just had surgery and was now becoming sick and couldn't be with her.

I limped down to the main lobby on my own (hey, I must have been getting better) and took a cab home. But when it rains, it pours, and I discovered at this time that I did not have my keys. I had given them to Kevin for safe keeping earlier in the day.

It was about midnight, now. I was stuck in the hallway of my apartment and couldn't get in. I had to call Kev and wake him up. Thank God for cell phones. To his credit, even though he was tired, groggy, and half asleep, he drove all the way down to give me my keys back. He never once complained or griped about anything.

Back in the apartment, I headed straight for the sofa and fell asleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home