Sunday, July 23, 2006

Do NOT Feed the Animals

I vaguely remember this happening when it did 30 years ago when I was just 3 years old. Goh picked Q and I up from daycare and we took the subway home as usual. However, this particular day he decided to buy us some orange pop. I do believe it was orange Fanta. Well, that was spectacular, as Mom and Dad had never bought soda pop for us at home. It was a very very rare treat.

The next day Goh took Q and I to daycare. I, like every other animal out there, expected the same thing; an orange pop. Except this time I didn't get one. Again, I vaguely remember throwing the biggest fit a 3 year-old could throw. I was told that I sat on the sidewalk and refused to go in until Goh bought me an orange pop. And I cried and yelled and screamed "I want an orange pop!" Well, I never got it.

Way to stand your ground, Goh! This very act probably saved me from becoming an even bigger spoiled brat and would keep me from becoming a soda addict like the millions of other North Americans out there.

So for the past 30 years I've never heard the end of this story. I've heard it repeatedly from Mom and Dad and Goh. If it hadn't been for their constant reminders, I would definitely have forgotten about the incident.

In any case, Goh has been very generous to me over the years for which I am eternally grateful and will never be able to repay him. He has sacrificed a lot of time, energy, and money for Q and I.

Finally, at our wedding Goh was giving the best man's toast, which was outstanding, I must say. And he gave R and I a toast with (you guessed it) orange pop. Fitting and classic. But there's one question that lingers in my mind about that:

Goh, after all the stuff you've bought me throughout the past 30 years, why did it take you so long to finally buy me an orange pop?

2 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i thought you also left the daycare and walked down the streets to the subway looking for him.

 
At 7:26 PM, Blogger V-Hume said...

Chasing is more like it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home